The Dutch Raw Food Festival
Last Sunday seemed like as good a Sunday as any to partake in a little health food festiity, so I took the opportunity to hop on my bike and take myself out on an adventure into the Dutch countryside – I saw some leaves and a horse, that counts as countryside – to find the Dutch Raw Food Festival.
I’ve been getting a steady stream of texts from my friends back home in the UK recently informing me of their whereabouts at various vegan fairs and making me green smoothie coloured with envy, so I was pretty excited to find out that Amsterdam would be hosting its own one-day health food fair. The raw food community is still fairly small in the Netherlands compared with London and the UK but it’s rapidly expanding as more people here in Holland are becoming aware of the benefits of gluten-, wheat,- refined-sugar-free lifestyles.
The festival was on a little site out by Gaasperpark but its small-time feel didn’t mean it wasn’t chock full of all kinds of foodie stalls, it was easy to spend a long afternoon there browsing, sampling the free tasters and having lunch from the raw food vendors.
Here’s my translation of the events mission statement:
What I learned from the Dutch Raw Food Festival:
- Raw chocolate is still huuuge and only gaining in popularity, so much so that it’s even becoming popular outside of the vegan/conscious eating community
- …And the real, pure kind blows your head off
- Eating the equivalent of your own body weight in free samples is a good time
- Coconut products continue to rein supreme in healthified treat baking
- Pure, unfiltered nut milks are beautiful. I’m now loathe to buying cartoned almond milk. Thanks a lot Wanaka.
- These guys make vegan cheesecake that’s infinitely better than any normal cheesecake I’ve ever had
- I really love the ethos of Food for Conciousness:
…we are moving into a very different and profoundly preferable state of consciousness…
Research in the fields of anthropology, plant biology, mythology and human experience, and on the brain itself, suggests that we could be living in a very different and profoundly preferable state of consciousness to the one we have considered normal.
The way we eat and our hormonal balance have a huge impact on how we feel, experience life and behave. Through regenerative nutrition, we can all significantly, swiftly and sustainably improve our brain and body chemistry, enhance our energy, effectiveness, mental acuity, intuition, creative powers, harmonious connection, joy, happiness and sheer pleasure of existence and attain substantially more success in our chosen paths. Ultimately we have the potential as humans to ongoingly experience a sense of well-being now usually associated with peak states – ‘in a benign state of perpetual wonder and joy’, in ‘magical consciousness’.
- LoveChock now make these things called Rocks and they’re flipping delicious. Try them.